Hello! Welcome to Beyond Soy!
Since the weather is cold and snowy, it is time to make one of my favorite winter meals: chili and cornbread!
Chili is a great cold-weather food that is easy to make and easily soy-free. Our favorite chili recipe comes from the McCormick seasoning packet. We pair it with cornbread muffins (which we make from a box for convenience), for a quick, easy, hot meal in the cold winter weather.
- 1 packet McCormick chili seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes - We get fire roasted because they look a little fancier.
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 lb ground beef - Easy to adjust the amount to determine how "meaty" you want the chili to be. We often use 2/3 - 3/4 of a pound.
- Brown the ground beef
- In a pot, mix the chili seasoning, tomatoes, kidney beans, and the ground beef. Include all the juices from both cans (i.e., just dump both cans into the pot)
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes
The timing works out about right to make some cornbread muffins at the same time as the chili so they are both ready at the same time.
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Grease muffin pan
- Stir all ingredients together - let rest for 4 minutes
- Stir lightly, then fill muffin cups 2/3 full
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown
Serve the chili with some shredded cheese or sour cream and the cornbread with butter or honey. It's the perfect meal to warm up after a cold day!