Hello! Welcome to Beyond Soy!
Have you ever been to the Melting Pot? Ashley and I both really enjoy fondue and we’ve been to the Melting Pot several times for special occasions. We don't frequent the Melting Pot too often these days because it's pretty complex to navigate the menu (and the best part--chocolate fondue--isn't soy-free). We have, however, found a way to re-create the Melting Pot experience at home. We've learned to make a three-course meal of cheese, oil, and chocolate fondues--and we love it! We’ve put recipes for each course below. When we make this at home, we use the same fondue pot for each course and just quickly clean it out in-between courses.
A quick word of caution: fondue can be tricky. When making the cheese and chocolate fondues, be sure to add the ingredients in the proper order at the proper time to ensure the fondue has the right consistency and isn’t burned.
Enjoy your at-home fondue experience!
- 1 lb Swiss Cheese (generic brand)
- 1/4 lb Emmentaler cheese
- 1/4 lb Le Gruyere cheese
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic, crushed)
- 1.5 cups white wine (Chenin Blanc or Pinot Grigio)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large loaf of bread
- Cut the bread into cubes, ensure each cube has some of the crust
- Shred cheese and mix with flour
- Heat wine in the fondue pot on medium
- Add garlic powder and lemon juice
- Slowly add cheese, stirring constantly until completely melted
- Add pepper and nutmeg
- Dip the bread into the cheese (note: increase the heat if the cheese gets stiff, lower the heat if the cheese boils)
- Canola oil
- Chicken (raw)
- Steak (raw)
- Shrimp (raw)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Broccoli (and any other vegetables you'd like)
- Cube the steak and chicken
- Remove the tails from the shrimp
- Add canola oil in the fondue pot and heat on medium-high
- Dip the meat, shrimp, and vegetables into the oil to cook them (note: try to avoid cooking too much at one time to ensure the oil stays hot; lower the heat if the oil starts to splatter, and allow each item several minutes to cook)
- 1.25 cups heavy cream
- 1 10 oz bag Nestle dark chocolate chips (they are soy-free!)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Rice Krispy treats
- Heat the cream in the fondue pot.
- Once hot, slowly mix in the chocolate chips until melted.
- Add vanilla and brandy
- Dip strawberries, bananas, pineapple, Rice Krispy treats, marshmallows, or any other treat of your choice (note: keep the heat low to avoid burning the chocolate)